The Case Report on a ‘Fence Laceration Wound’ by Erica Schmidt is a great summary of the issues relating to leg wounds generally Viz: –
- There are 3 stages / phases with some overlaps: –
- acute inflammation – needs cleaning and preventing infection
- granulation – needs management of proud flesh using meds
- remodelling – epithelial skin re-growth using different meds
- Medications vary and require some understanding / skill during the healing process. A steroid ingredient and moisture barrier including honey are important components – as described in this Case
- It takes a long time – 6 months then another 6 months in this Case.
- Ideal conditions and attention to detail can speed up the process.
In Contrast – as most of you will know, a wound to the chest can/will heal in less than 3 months – I not sure if the reason for the difference is understood.